finding the right data structure...?

Larry Bates lbates at swamisoft.com
Thu Jun 10 19:21:14 EDT 2004

There's more than one way, but here is one:

Create a class that is the equivalent of lightCue type:

class lightCue:
    def __init__(self, Name, Description, CueLine,
                 upTime, downTime, chanLevel):

        self.Name=Name
        self.Description=Description
        self.CueLine=CueLine
        self.upTime=upTime
        self.downTime=downTime
        self.chanLevel=chanLevel
        return

lq=[]  # Create an empty list
lq.append(lightCue('Name1','Description2',
                   'Cueline1', 10, 10, 1))
lq.append(lightCue('Name2','Description2',
                   'Cueline2', 11, 11, 2))

for entry in lq:
    print "--------------------------------------------"
    print "Name..........%s" % entry.Name
    print "Description...%s" % entry.Description
    print "CueLine.......%s" % entry.CueLine
    print "upTime........%i" % entry.upTime
    print "downTime......%i" % entry.downTime
    print "chanLevel.....%i" % entry.chanLevel

You don't have to "name" the instances of the class,
you just need to 'put' it somewhere that you can
reference it later.  The easiest thing is to append
the instance on to a list (but there might be cases
when you want to insert them into the values of a
dictionary).  One of the things that is 'different'
about Python is that everything (values, functions,
classes, etc) are all just an objects.

a=1

means a is a pointer to an object that contains an
integer 1

a=Class()

means a is a pointer to an object that contains a
class instance.

You can have classes inside of classes inside of
classes... you get the picture.  They are all just
pointers to the object.

lq[0] is a pointer to the first lightCue class you
appended to list lq.

lq[0].Name is a pointer to the Name attribute of
that class.

lq[0].Name[0] is a pointer to the first character
of that Name attribute in the first lightCue instance
in list lq.

Everything is a pointer and you can do whatever you
want with assignment (even clobber Python's built
in functions).  Common newbie mistake:

str="abc"

Now the str() function is gone and replaced by a
string that contains "abc".

Hope information helps,
Larry Bates
Syscon, Inc.

"David Hoare" <dave at lifetimeaddress.com> wrote in message
news:tg5yc.44524$8k4.966697 at news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi all...
> I'm a python newbie, migrating from a fair bit of VB experience.
>
> I have an application in VB that I was using as a sample to 're-create'
> it using python. It involved storing information about sound and light
> cues (this was for a lighting / sound theater controller).
>
> The data was stored like this:
> - a custom 'type' called lightCue which looked like this:
> > Type lightCue
> >     Name As String 'optional short name
> >     Description As String 'optional longer description
> >     CueLine As String 'optional line in script where cue occurs
> >     upTime As Single 'time for lights fading UP
> >     downTime As Single 'time for lights fading down
> >     chanLevel(0 To maxChan) As Single 'stored intensity level (0 to 100)
for each channel on the lighting console