embedded python?

Alexander May alex-news-deleteme at comcast.net
Tue Jun 29 13:58:29 EDT 2004

PS:

> I doubt you'll need to do much "porting".  Unless the Linices you
> are considering are quite unusual, they ought to look a lot like any
> other Linux, and Python may well work largely unchanged.

from http://www.vanille.de/projects/python.spy  (from Christopher T King's
post)

"You won't find many Python distributions for arm-linux, because Python is
pretty finnicky when it comes to cross-compiling. The build process of
Python compiles a core part of it (the parser generator pgen) and tries to
execute that later in the build process. This - of course - doesn't work for
cross compiling. My patches to the Python build scripts are available @
sourceforge and are likely to be included into the main Python tree."

-----

Thoughts?

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
news:Rv-dnT7TAcm5BHzd4p2dnA at powergate.ca...
> Alexander May wrote:
>
> > We are developing a distributed application running on approximately six
> > thousand nodes with somewhat limited hardware resources.  Our hardware
> > target is 66 MHz ARM style processor with 16 Mb ram.  We haven't
selected
> > specific hardware yet; the hardware target is what we are trying to fit
into
> > based on price constraints.  Each device needs to be able to handle
about 2
> > kbs (yes kilo, not mega) worth of network traffic.
>
> You mention network, so presumably you have Ethernet (?) interfaces, and
> plan on TCP or UDP, in which case you probably first need to consider
> operating systems... Python does not automatically give you support for
> networking, it just uses the underlying OS support.
>
> > I intend to a least prototype the system in Python.  It would be great
if we
> > could we could use Python in production by embedding it in the hardware.
My