wxPython woes

Reinhold Birkenfeld reinhold-birkenfeld-nospam at wolke7.net
Tue Jun 29 04:37:43 EDT 2004

David Fraser wrote:
> Sridhar R wrote:
>> km <km at mrna.tn.nic.in> wrote in message news:<mailman.221.1088421476.27577.python-list at python.org>...
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I feel its a real pain to install wxPython from sources it goes back to install gtk+ etc . may be thats why its not yet become defacto GUI standard for python.
>>>but i'd like to know if anyone has made it easy with an installer for wxPython on linux (Debian woody)?
>>

>> Well, if your app. is target mainly to the UNIX platform, then you may
>> want to try PyGTK - http://www.pygtk.org (basically wxPython is just
>> another layer over GTK).  GTK port is available for win and mac also
>> (look at gimp for eg.) - also see http://gtk-wimp.sf.net.
>>
>> still, wxPython is better for apps to be run on win,mac and unix, but
>> gtk+ is catching very close.
>
> The important difference is that wxWindows and wxPython are designed to
> use real native widgets as much as possible, whereas gtk-wimp is
> basically trying to use theming to make GTK widgets look like Windows
> widgets.

The difference is the number of layers on the different platforms:

Under Un*x:
  wxPython --> wxWidgets --> GTK --> Xlib
   -- or --
  PyGTK --> GTK --> Xlib
   -- or --
  PyQt --> Qt --> Xlib

Under Windows:
  wxPython --> wxWidgets --> Native Windows Controls
   -- or --
  PyGTK --> GTK --> Wimp --> Native Windows Controls

Reinhold

--
Wenn eine Linuxdistribution so wenig brauchbare Software wie Windows
mitbrächte, wäre das bedauerlich.  Was bei Windows der Umfang eines