Windows XP - cron or scheduler for Python?

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 24 13:47:03 EDT 2004

Tim Golden wrote:

> | I'm trying to have some scripts run periodically on Windows
> | XP and found the "Task Scheduler" did not execute my scripts.
> |  My scripts are of the form scriptName.py, and will run just
> | by invoking that name in the Command Prompt.
> |
> | Has anyone used the Windows Task Scheduler to run .py
> | scripts, and if so is there some intracacy to it?
> |
> | Is there a more UNIX version of a cron program one can run on Windows?
>

> Others have already responded on using the Task Scheduler,
> and maybe you've already set yourself up that way. There
> certainly are cron-like programs on Win32 (and, let's face
> it, it's not hard to write your own). But I'm initially
> very pleased with Irmen de Jong's Kronos from
> http://www.razorvine.net/download/kronos.py.

Thanks for that :)  Kronos could use a bit of extra testing.

Mind you that you will have to have it running to execute
the tasks you schedule. This is rather obvious, but if the
original poster wants to run scripts without having to take
care of this himself, it's a bit of a problem.

> tasks. It wouldn't be at all hard to read the info from
> a crontab-style file at startup (don't know if Irmen's
> already working on anything like that).

I'm not. Kronos is meant to be an "embedded" scheduler.
But, as you say, it would be rather trivial to parse a
config file at startup time, where a bunch of tasks
are defined.

Tip: you can use os.system as the task action.... ;-)

--Irmen