Regex question

Luke luked at xplantechnology.com
Wed Jun 23 03:58:49 EDT 2004

Jonas Galvez wrote:
> I've a perhaps unusual piece of data to parse with regexes.

> ['h']
>
> This is a very very very simplified example. The result I was
> expecting is the following: ['a', 'b', 'c'] ... and so forth. Is it
> impossible to repeat a pattern group inside another?

Are you hoping for your regular expression to match the whole string, or
just one letter?  This is how I would get the result you seek:

 >>> import re
 >>> re.findall("\w", "a b c d e f g h")

The regular expression you used, "a (\w ?)*", will match the whole string,
which is why you have only one element in the list returned by findall.
Since you used a group (using parentheses), findall only returned what was
inside the group (the 'h') rather than the whole match ('a b c d e f g h').