Can someone explain this weakref behavior?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Mon Jun 14 11:55:20 EDT 2004

Michael Kent wrote:

>"Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.874.1086976586.6949.python-list at python.org>...
>

>>The bound methods you create become unreachable (via any strong reference)
>>the instant they're added to the weak dict, so they vanish from the weak
>>dict immediately after being added.  That's what a weak dict is supposed to
>>do.
>>

>OK, I think I understand where you're coming from.  My
>misunderstanding was that a persistant reference to the object would
>keep the object alive, and thus was sufficient to keep a weak
>reference to a bound method of the object alive.  But the two
>references are totally independent, right?  So keeping the object
>alive isn't sufficient to keeping the weak reference to a bound method
>of the object alive.
>
>Back to the drawing board...

Or you could just take the "saferef" module from the Dispatcher project
(the poor naming is my fault):

    http://pydispatcher.sourceforge.net/

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/pydispatcher/dispatch/saferef.py?view=markup

Which does the work of deconstructing the method reference into two
weak-references for you.  Once you have that, keeping the object alive
is sufficient.

HTH,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher