python.org CMS

Tim Hoffman timh at zute.net
Thu Jun 10 11:29:30 EDT 2004

Hi Aahz

I have been actively devloping with Zope for 4 years now and I think it
is a good solution. Admittedly most of the applications and sites I have
developed with it have not utilised Plone but almost all have been based
on CMF, the work I have done with plone makes me feel it is a good
platform to build/base python.org on.

The only fly in the ointment I see (at least for an out of the box
Plone/Zope deployment) is the requirement for the content to be in the
filesystem.

Having said that, if you configure Zope with Directory Storage (
http://zope.org/Members/htrd/DirectoryStorage) then
the content would in fact be in the file system, so even that issue
is resolvable without much effort.

Zope/Plone workflow I think is more than adequate for what you want,
as well as its security capabilities. It just needs a little planning.

Lots of people say the learning curve is steep. Well I feel like any
sophisticated piece of software that is different from what you know,
has a steep learning curve, especially if it solves problems in
radically different ways. Certainly for the sort of customisations
I could envisage you would want to make to a basic plone/zope config
it would not be likely to tax anyone too much, and I am sure there are
more than a few Zope/Plone gurus around who can lend advice. Most
competant people I have worked with have been able to be quite effective
with Zope in a fairly short space of time.

my 2c worth.

Tim

P.S. I could probably volunteer some of my time (except whilst I am
sailing from Darwin to Broome in a 40' cat next month. ;-)

P.P.S Plone won't cause a problem for Lynx. Have a look at the plone.org
site with Lynx to see.