Non GPL Python MySQL Client Library.

Lothar Scholz dummy at scriptolutions.com
Tue Jun 29 16:04:20 EDT 2004

On 29 Jun 2004 10:14:44 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

>Lothar Scholz <dummy at scriptolutions.com> writes:
>> This is not a possible option. I must use MySQL. 95% (??) of the
>> databases in the small company world are MySQL based.
>>
>> Now this world becomes to look more and more like Micrsosoft,
>> especially if you keep in mind that MySQL AB is now owned by the
>> worlds 3rd largest Software Company SAP.
>
>I don't understand what your issue is.  You want to use a MySQL client
>library in your application, you don't want to pay a license fee to
>use the library, but on the other hand you don't want use the GPL'd
>client because you want to charge a license fee your own users.  If
>the license fee system works so well for you, why don't you want to
>participate in it in both directions instead of just one?  You're
>asking for an environment where you get to charge license fees but
>nobody else does.  That just seems like asking a bit much.

Because i must sell my program for under 100 US$. And the client
library license fee's are much more then this 100 Euro.

My target audience is the small office / home office people. 90% of
them use MySQL on there website - because of the MySQL monopol in this
area.