Making statements (was Re: does python have useless destructors?)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Jun 15 11:38:48 EDT 2004

In article <e251b7ba.0406150326.20ab48cc at posting.google.com>,
David Turner <dkturner at telkomsa.net> wrote:

>Hmm... I wonder if it would be possible to override the "="
>operator...?

This comment indicates that you don't understand how Python works.  In
Python, ``=`` is a *statement*, not an operator.  This is more confusing
now than it used to be because of the augmented assignment operators
(that can only be used in a statement context).  In any event, you can't
override ``=``.