Readable Persistance?

Chris S. chrisks at NOSPAMudel.edu
Sun Jun 20 19:44:46 EDT 2004

I'm trying to write programs that make use of a lot of dynamic
structures. To aid in debugging and data extraction, I'd like to persist
these objects in a form that's readable, but one that also preserves
handles (ie for lambda expressions, dictionaries, lists, etc). Using the
pickle module, I can more-or-less accomplish the latter, but not the
former. YAML can accomplish the former to some degree, but still can't
represent handles. I understand the inherent difficulties in
representing complex objects in a human readable format, but is there
any way to do this with Python? Any help is appreciated.