Spellcheck an application (from below)

Gary Bishop gb at cs.unc.edu
Tue Jun 22 15:41:25 EDT 2004

John <johng2001 at rediffmail.com> wrote:
> Try
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/117221
> http://www.scriptfoundry.com/snake/snakespell/snakespell/

For the spell checking you could use our wrapper for ASpell found at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/uncpythontools.

To get access to the text in your applications text control will be a
trick. Our python tools for using the MS Active Accessibility
interface might be helpful. You can find it at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/uncassist.  You can find some notes on
using it at http://www.cs.unc.edu/~parente/tech/tr01.shtml.

If you can find the "handle" for the window, you should be able to
both read and modify the text therein. pyAA will allow you to explore
the tree of window handles to find it.

The pywin32 at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/ also includes
lots of tools for exploring the Windows interface via COM.

What you have is a tricky Windows API problem, not really a Python
problem. Though I believe you can solve it efficiently with Python.

gb