jython 2 cpython bridge

Steve M?nard steve.menard at videotron.ca
Thu Jun 3 13:43:10 EDT 2004

nicolas at lehuen.com (Nicolas Lehuen) wrote in message
<<snip>>

> > <shameless plug>
> > Alternately, you can look at JPype ( http://jpype.sourceforge.net ).
> >
> > It is still a very early release, but I would welcome any feeback. And
> > version 0.1 should allow you to use JDBC without problem.
> >
> > It currently only works on Windows, but if there is interest, I could
> > make a linux release pretty quickly.
> >
> > </shameless plug>
>
> That's awesome ! This is still a little bit rough on the edges, but it
> already works well enough to have an idea of what it could bring to
> Python.
>
> This is what I mean by 'rough on the edge' : launching a Python
> program using JPype from a .py file is OK, but using the prompt is
> weird :

>   File "<stdin>", line 1
>     1+1
>        ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>   File "<stdin>", line 1
>     help()
>           ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> Anyway, this is extremely promising. Soon, we'll be able to seamlessly
> use Java object thanks to JPype, as we do with COM objects using
> win32all or ctypes. Python is THE real integration/composition
> platform !
>
> Thanks for your work, Steve.
>
> Regards,
> Nicolas

Thanks for your enthusiasm, and for the feedback.

However, I have tried what you've described above, and had no problem.
further An invalid syntax is usually something thrown by the parser,
way before any JPype-related code sees the commands.

If the problem persists, can you enter a bug report at JPype's
souceforge project page? ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpype/ )

I would like to use SF's tracking features to keep everyone up to date
on what is going on. As a matter of fact you'll be able to track each
releases progress by looking at the task list.

Again, thanks for your interest.

Steve Ménard