sending signals to the calling function

Jaco Smuts JSmuts at clover.co.za
Mon Jun 28 05:52:00 EDT 2004

Go for Tim's generator idea

Had to figure it  out a while ago in order to avoid multiple threads or
overly complex scheduling.

It is a great tool to have in your toolbox,

also see:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-pythrd.html
and
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-pycon.html

jaco

Haim Ashkenazi <haim at babysnakes.org>
Sent by: python-list-bounces+jsmuts=clover.co.za at python.org
06/28/2004 11:31 AM

        To:     python-list at python.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: sending signals to the calling function

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:14:29 +0300, Haim Ashkenazi wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a function that receive a list of files and creates a zip from
> these files. I want it to send signal to the calling function with the
> name of the file it currently compressing. is there a way to do this
> (without threads)?
Hi, again...

here's a more detailed description:

at the moment, the function looks like this:

def CreateZip(self):
    bakFile = 'data_backup_NS.zip'

    print "\nCompressing your data...\n"
    myZip = zipfile.ZipFile(bakFile, 'w', zipfile.ZIP_DEFLATED)

    for file in self.FinalList:
                 print "adding", file, "..."
                 # zip doesn't support unicode
                 if isinstance(file, unicode):
                     myZip.write(file.encode('mbcs')) #good for windows
                 else:
                     myZip.write(file)

    myZip.close()

it works fine when called from a console application, but now I want it to
be called from a wxwindows gui also (and redirect the output to a
wxScrolledMessageDialog). if there isn't a way to "signal" the calling
function, is there a way to redirect the output of the function (it's
running on windows)?

thanx
--
Haim