how to become a really good Python programmer?

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Thu Jun 17 13:33:55 EDT 2004

Randall Smith <randall at tnr.cc> wrote:
> I've been programming in Python for about 2 years.
> I think it offers the best combination of simplicity
> and power of any language I have explored.  As I write
> more and larger and complex programs, I need to code
> better.  By better I mean clearer, cleaner, more
> efficient and maintainable.  As the subject states,
> I want to become a really good Python programmer.

and Roy Smith replied:
> The virtues you mention; clarity, efficiency, and maintainability, are

> pretty much universal, regardless of what language you write in,
> although I'm not sure I would put them in that order.  For the vast
> majority of code that you'll write, efficiency should not be
> that high on the list.

Oh, I don't know. Efficiency is to programming as breathing is to the
human body: the pedestrian* can assume adequacy, but exertion quickly
exposes the truth. As you say, Roy, requirements are essential.

FuManChu

* why, yes, that _is_ a double entendre, thanks for noticing. ;)