Can you make this faster?

alejandro david weil aweil at mail.ru
Sun Jun 27 18:05:32 EDT 2004

On Sun June 27 2004 18:51, alejandro david weil wrote:
> > But, anyway, the problem seems to be the:
> > 	f2 += str(len(arg))
> > line.
> >
> > If you take it off, you'll see that time reduces to half!
> > Why? How to fix?
> > Don't know! :-(
>
> For example, this seems to be "better":

Well, that was not optimized and some debug print remains, this,
uses half time:

typedic = {
    types.IntType: 'i',
    types.LongType: 'q',
    types.BooleanType: 'c',
    types.FloatType:'d'}

slen = {}
for i in xrange(256):
    slen[i]=str(i)+'s'

def myfmtstring(args):
    global typedic, slen
    f2 = '<'
    t = None
    for arg in args:
        t = type(arg)
        if t == types.StringType:
            try:
                f2+=slen[len(arg)]
            except:
                f2 += str(len(arg))+'s'
        else:
            try:
                f2 += typedic[t]
            except: #check the exception here!
                raise Exception("Can't pack argument of type %s!" % t)
    return f2+'\0'

-> Ran 2 tests in 0.253s

Also I tried the except-catch method proposed, in this way, and got ugly results:
(removing StringType from typedic)

def my_slowest_fmtstring(args):
    global typedic, slen
    f2 = '<'
    t = None
    for arg in args:
        t = type(arg)
        try:
            f2 += typedic[t]
        except: #check the exception here!
            if t == types.StringType:
                try:
                    f2+=slen[len(arg)]
                except:
                    f2 += str(len(arg))+'s'
            else:
                raise Exception("Can't pack argument of type %s!" % t)
    return f2+'\0'

-> Ran 2 tests in 0.632s  (worst than the first version! that gives: Ran 2 tests in 0.465s)
--
+ There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.