Is this just for readability to the developer? python

Mel Wilson mwilson at the-wire.com
Wed Jun 2 09:53:11 EDT 2004

In article <mailman.505.1086179037.6949.python-list at python.org>,
"David Stockwell" <winexpert at hotmail.com> wrote:
>I was looking through some of our source code and I found this:
>
>initModule( "$Revision: 3.1 $".split(" ")[1] )
>
>In this example, it looks like only the '3.1' is actually passed to the
>function.  Which leads me to speculate that the rest of it is just there to
>make it easier for the developer when looking at source code to see what
>version of the module is being used. [ ... ]

To amplify David Brodie's answer:

   The string "$Revision:  3.1 $" is probably supplied by
CVS, the Concurrent Versioning System, and that literal in
that line of the program changes every time the Python
module is checked into change control.  You're really
looking at a slick way to communicate between CVS and the
module user.

        Regards.        Mel.