Templating engine?

Paramjit Oberoi p_s_oberoi at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 20 16:22:42 EDT 2004

> FWIW, I've designed, written, used and killed both types of systems,
> and think the DOM-style beats macro-style hands down for the majority
> of use-cases, and definitely the most graphic designer-friendly
> approach. Suffice to say I've no plans for killing HTMLTemplate any
> time soon. ;)

I expect it depends on what is changing more.  If you are working on code
in the application, then you want the templates themselves to have no
code.  On the other hand, if you are using a "finished" application and
want to make changes to the HTML produced without fiddling with the
application code, Cheetah-like systems are much more flexible (and simple
substitution-only templates are very limiting).

-param