Am I crazy regarding the style guide for function names?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Jun 19 09:24:08 EDT 2004

Peter Otten wrote:

> Leif K-Brooks wrote:
>

>>I try to make my code comply to the Python style guide
>>(http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0008.html). Last time I read it, I swear
>>that it said to use CamelCase for often-used functions and
>>lower_case_with_underscores for rarely-used utility functions. Now it
>>says to use low_case_with_underscores for everything, but it claims to
>>be last updated in 2001. Am I crazy?
>

> Not yet, according to
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/python/python/nondist/peps/pep-0008.txt?r1=1.20&r2=1.24
>
> :-)

Judging by the wording of the "function names" section before and
after the edit, the earlier version which "allowed" mixedCase names
was merely being descriptive (saying what the codebase currently
looked like), while the new version is being *prescriptive* (attempting
to force a particular style by defining it as the standard).

Personally, I don't like the change, but I also have no intention of
paying attention to it.  Now that the editor and tab-wars are over,
we have to have _something_ to argue over, don't we?  ;-)

-Peter