Problem building Python 2.3.4 on RedHat Enterprise; tcl not found

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Wed Jun 2 14:19:10 EDT 2004

I'm trying to build Python 2.3.4 from source on a RedHat Enterprise
machine for installation in a net-wide accessible directory /net/python.
I tried all of the following variants of ./configure (the first was
required for Python 2.3.3 on RedHat 9):
./configure --prefix=/net/python --enable-unicode=ucs4
./configure --prefix=/net/python
./configure --prefix=/net/python --enable-unicode=ucs2

All of these result in the ominous message (even the last form, which
really surprised me):
checking for UCS-4 tcl... no

Having gone through the make in one case and gotten no _tkinter, I'm
expecting the same results for the other two cases.

Any hints? At this point I'm spinning my wheels. I'm not even sure if
tcl is built with UCS-4 or UCS-2 on RedHat Enterprise.

My fallback will be to build my own tcl/tk. Blasted RedHat. Python 2.3.3
was working just fine under RedHat 9, and I'd have been happy to keep
using it, but Tkinter is acting flaky after the OS upgrade --
tkColorChooser.askcolor is broken (returning strings that Python has no
idea what to do with).

-- Russell