Searching for the best scripting language,

Richard James rmb25612 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 14 15:01:22 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<ouGdnf9c8qBeOlDdRVn-tw at powergate.ca>...
> Ryan Paul wrote:
>
> > The proof is in the source. This is part of a ruby program I wrote. This
> > snippet is actually a single 'line'. I broke it into several lines for
> > slightly improved readability. This single line would probably take at
> > least 15 lines to do in python, probably more if you wanted to do it
> > intelligently.
> >
> > ["*.rar.*", "*.r[0-9][0-9].*"].each {|fn|
> >   Dir[$prefix+fn].collect {|x|
> >   x.gsub(/\.\d+[\d.-]*$/,"")}.uniq.each {|x|
> >   `cat #{sesc x}.* > #{sesc x}`} }
>
> This is proof of something, I'm sure, but for me it's simply another
> indication that (a) Ruby is more like Perl than it is like Python,
> (b) unreadable code can be written in any language, and (c) I
> really don't mind using 15 lines to write something if it means
> the resulting code can readily be understood.
>
> Thanks for reinforcing my lack of interest in switching to Ruby. :-)
>
> -Peter

Well back in my day, in '75, "Real men" programmed in Intel binary
machine codes without using those "sissy" Assembly language
mnemonics...

I think the value of maintainable code far outweighs cute one line
coding tricks...

And no matter how close to the hardware it made you feel, I really
don't miss those #%$@ front panel switches! :)

-- R.J.