python.org CMS

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Jun 8 14:57:55 EDT 2004

The team for www.python.org is taking another crack at considering a
content management system for handling the website's content.  This is
particularly important considering, for example, how far beind we are in
posting job ads -- getting the community to do our grunt work for us is
the primary motivator.

Right now, Plone/Zope2 is the primary competitor simply because it's
well-publicized, but none of us really has that much experience with
websites whose core maintainers are going to be programmers.  ;-)  We'd
like to know if there are other packages available that can do what we
want; we're more interested in getting information about each package
than in package comparisons.  We're also interested in hearing about
experiences creating custom systems.

Here are the primary criteria that we're working with:

The data must be stored in a plain text format that would allow direct
access if the main system was not functioning.  This doesn't necessarily
imply the ability to circumvent a web based layer by editing text files
directly, though there does need to at least be an easy way to export
and import such files for people who want to use a Real Editor [tm].

Workflow is presumed to be a hierarchial publish reject model (in other
words as simple as is possible to begin with).  We'll need both
coarse-grained and fine-grained security (giving people a variety of
access levels to large and small sections of the site).

The system needs to work with browsers that have limited functionality
(i.e. Lynx).