extension modules in C for python, check for korrekt Object

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Jun 2 05:42:34 EDT 2004

Torsten Mohr <tmohr at s.netic.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> i write a set of extension modules for python in C.
> I also use some new types that i defined there.
>
> At the moment i write some methods that expect some
> of these types as parameters.  I now want to check
> that the right types were given as parameters.
>
> How can i do that?
>
> PyArg_ParseTuple only checks that an object was
> given as parameter, but not its type.

It can check type, using the "O!" incantation.

If you're asking "how do I get hold of the type object I defined in
some other extension module?", then that's a good question.  One
approach is to use "CObjects":

    http://docs.python.org/ext/using-cobjects.html

> Do i need to check tp_name in the objects type?

This sounds fragile :-)

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Of the four project development variables - scope, cost, time and
  quality - quality isn't really a free variable.  The only possible