Why did no one invent Python before?

j_mckitrick j_mckitrick at bigfoot.com
Wed Jun 2 18:49:30 EDT 2004

Yes, it's a silly question, but given how far we have come, why is it
that a natural looking, easy to read, incredibly powerful language has
appeared only recently, from a tech standpoint?

I can't *believe* how much more productive I am with the built in data
types and powerful expressions Python offers.  It made me want to quit
my C++ job.  Well, not quite.  ;-)

Seriously, why is a language like this only NOW appearing?  And aside
from the interpreter, because while it is nice, it's not the main
forte' of the language, IMHO.

jonathon