How important is Python 1.5 compatibility?

Christopher T King squirrel at WPI.EDU
Mon Jun 28 18:57:47 EDT 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Erik Max Francis wrote:

> me that this used to be fairly important, when, say, 2.1 was new, mostly
> because of other large Python applications that required 1.5, or lazy
> ISPs who still used older version.

I know of at least one ISP that still uses 1.5.2.

> Based on the discussions I've seen, I'm getting the impression that this
> is less and less the case as time goes on (which is, of course, exactly
> how you'd expect things to be).  How important is Python 1.5
> compatibility today?

If you're writing web stuff, I'd try to be 1.5 compatible for those lazy
ISPs. As to desktop programs, however, I usually don't even attempt 2.2
compatability, since Linux installations are usually already at the latest
version, or easily upgradable, and on Windows, you can distribute your app
with whichever version you like using py2exe. Correct me if I'm wrong, but
I believe the latest version of OS X comes with 2.3, too.