left-quote ( ` ) on International keyboards [Prothon]

Mark Hahn mark at prothon.org
Mon Jun 7 05:36:50 EDT 2004

Timo Virkkala wrote:

> Mark Hahn wrote:
>> We are thinking of using it as a marker for "symbols" in Prothon.
>> They are like strings but can only be legal variable labels: `var,
>> `init_, `x, `account_balance, etc.  I think in our application they
>> look good and won't be mistaken for quotes since they don't come in
>> pairs.  They are readable and distinquishable in this context.
>> Also, symbols won't be used that frequently so typing won't be too
>> much of a pain.
>
> Why not use something like $ or something? I'm not familiar with
> Prothon, so I don't know if $ is already used for something, but it's
> a character normally used with symbols/placeholders/etc.

We aren't using any of the oddball symbols any more, so $ is free.  I'm a
little wary of proposing using it though.  The last time I proposed using $
Prothon was accused of being Perl :-)

I'll put it up for vote on the Prothon mailing list.  You can come by and
vote for it :-)

Is $ easier to type on foreign keyboards?