Why did no one invent Python before?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Thu Jun 3 09:35:57 EDT 2004

In article <c9lpkp$sk2$1 at nntp6.u.washington.edu>,
Russell E. Owen <no at spam.invalid> wrote:
			.
>I think smalltalk users would argue that it was done many years ago. It
			.
			.
			.
>I think lisp users would also argue for their language. It's really
>weird to non-lisp users (much more so than smalltalk is to C/python
>programmers) but really powerful.
>
>Anyway, I did not intend to detract from your praise of python. It is a
>wonderful language, and my main language right now.
			.
			.
			.
Those are the two natural high points I see, too.  We're
*still* trying to get back to their accomplishments, in
plenty of ways.  LISP first appeared in the '50s, Small-
talk sometime between '71 and '76, depending on whom you
ask (I like the '71 nucleus, myself).  Those looking for
other antique ways to blow minds should also consider
Forth.  Moore first called it that in 1968, although at
that point he was re-using code and design elements that
first appeared in his writings at the end of the '50s.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net