Doc strings for a standalone app??

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jun 9 07:11:31 EDT 2004

j_mckitrick wrote:

> Does it make sense to use doc strings rather than #-comments for a
> standalone Python app?  If the classes aren't going to be re-used or
> imported, do they need them?

The only thing I can think of to ask about that is "Why
would you *not* want to use doc strings?".  There is
no significant overhead associated with them, so you
don't really lose.  They have potential advantages, given
that the docs are available at runtime, more clearly
identifiable as documentation, etc, whereas the other
form of comments have no advantages for this kind of
thing.  So why not use them?

-Peter