python+py2exe+pygame licensing ?

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Mon Jun 14 11:00:33 EDT 2004

Andrea Griffini wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 18:11:01 -0400, "Chris S."
> <chrisks at NOSPAMudel.edu> wrote:
>

>>Since Python byte-code can be decompiled, I'm not sure how
>>"closed-source" you could make a Python program.
>

> Legally closed source is one thing, technically closed
> source is another. Anyway I was wondering that if there
> is anything in the license that *forces* me to put an
> easily re-usable source code the impression on the
> management could be quite worse.
>
> If I can distribute a copyrighted compiled-only version,
> and take you to a court if I discover that you used
> part of it then things are different. The fact that
> there are decompilers around that can take the compiled
> version a produce a very good source version is not central.
> I've found even someone that sells this as a *service* on
> the net (it's not for cracking or illegal inspection,
> it's in case you lost the source code of your programs...
> of course :-) ).
>
> That anthing of this is important from a pratical point
> of view is quite questionable; but I'm talking about
> explaining to management that python is an interesting
> alternative for more than internal prototyping...

Exactly the point. We have a patch to distutils that lets you build an
installer with only cmopiled files (no source) to do this very thing.
See the following:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=355470&aid=793069&group_id=5470

> This is something that always puzzled me. If I include
> an LGPL'ed part and a new version of that part is not
> 100% interface-compatible with an old one (as sometimes
> happens with specific libraries), am I forced to allow
> my clients to adapt to the new version ? Am I forced
> to provide upgrades forever ?
>
> When I first read the LGPL, my impression was that it
> was suited more for incredibly stable libraries (at
> least stable at the interface level). For example the
> standard C library...
>
> But english legalese is not my natural language... :-)

I think as long as you 1) release the source code to the LGPL'ed part
and 2) allow people to substitute in a different library (with Python
that's easy) you will be safe with no problems...
Whether the original library will work with your game is not an issue,
as long as people have the ability to substitute in a modified library

David