Idea: Python Shorthand (was Re: Why a class when there will only be one instance?

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Tue Jun 1 05:08:18 EDT 2004

    >> But isn't IPython solely for interactive use?
    >>

    Josh> Yes, you are correct. A decided limitation. You can
    Josh> automatically save the Python statements from a session and
    Josh> paste them into a file, but you cannot edit an existing file
    Josh> in an interactive mode. I'm afraid I have to admit ignorace
    Josh> here, does Emacs offer more?

Well, one idea would be to bind some kind of py-expand-current-line
command to the enter key, in addition to the normal newline
operation. Editing/creating the script would proceed as usual, with
the additional advantage of shorthand writing.

Normal emacs 'abbrev' processing won't do the trick, because
abbreviations are expansion of short string to long string, not
expansion of identifier with parameters to identifier with the same
parameters in other places/other representations.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb