Stderr and Pythonw

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jun 30 08:28:25 EDT 2004

Manlio Perillo wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 04:22:16 GMT, Dennis Lee Bieber
> <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>On 29 Jun 2004 12:25:58 -0700, vm_usenet at yahoo.com (vm_usenet) declaimed
>>the following in comp.lang.python:
>>>When running python code via pythonw, what exactly happens to stderr?
>>
>>	Since there is no console expected, none of the std***
>>connections are created.
>
> This not really corrected.
> Actually 'some' std*** connections are created but are usefulness
> (and moreover they have a bug).
>
> If you write more than 4096 an exception is raised...

And, for future reference, here is the bug report Manlio filed
on SourceForge (for which there is no response yet):

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=973507&group_id=5470&atid=105470

I've also confirmed this, using a test script very similar to one
Tim Peters posted a couple of months ago in
http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=mailman.980.1082749579.20120.python-list%40python.org

The problem is confirmed to still exist with Python 2.3.4.

-Peter