Compilers/Interpreters books?

Daniel Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 25 03:14:07 EDT 2004

Ognen Duzlevski <maketo at ukato.freeshell.org> wrote:
: Hrvoje Blazevic <hrvoje at despammed.com> wrote:
:> Hrvoje Blazevic wrote:
:>> Are there any good books on Interpreter/Compiler construction, using
:>> Python as a defining language out there? Something like Essentials of
:>> Programming Languages 2e ?

: I am not sure if there is a book on compiler construction that addresses the implementation in
: Python though. I think it is more important for you to be familiar with the theory behind compilers and the
: implementation should then be easier, regardless of the language. Others have already pointed out the basic literature.

Agreed; a lot of the concepts of interpreters have little to do with
the defining language.  Essentials of Programming Languages makes this
point clear, as the material can be easily translated to another
language like ML.  (And at times, it feels like EOPL was originally
written with ML in mind... *grin*)

You may want to look at Structure and Interpretation of Computer
Programs:

    http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

I had written a translation of the Scheme interpreter into Python a
long long time ago; I think it still runs, though.  *grin* Here's a
link:

    http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/pyscheme/