Newbie Copy Question

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jun 9 22:49:12 EDT 2004

Stacy wrote:

> Thanks for the response, Peter!  Another reader helped me out, too,
> but I figured out what the problem was...the folders and file names
> are case-sensitive!  Once I changed documents and settings...blah blah
> blah to Documents and Settings blah blah blah it worked just fine.

My guess is that you've misinterpreted what happened, but I've
been wrong before.

Windows is almost never (ever?) case-sensitive, though it does
tend to preserve the case of filenames (sometimes, when it wants to).
Unless the jump drive is somehow case-sensitive, I doubt this
was the problem.

Note that if you were still using backslashes, and include paths
that had escape sequences in them, switching to upper case
would avoid the bad side-effects of the backslashes, leading
you to think the paths were case-sensitive when they really
weren't.

That would mean that any paths that had components following
a slash that began with \a, \b, \f, \n, \r, \t, \v, \x
(give or take a couple) would magically appear to work when
converted to \A, \B, etc.

But, as I said, I could be wrong.

-Peter