Encryption with Python

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jun 24 14:53:14 EDT 2004

Till Plewe wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 12:50:39AM -0400, Peter Hansen wrote:
>>Besides, what you say is not possible.  On my machine,
>>which is about a P4 2500MHz, scanning an array.array('c') with
>>22MB of data in it, doing nothing but reading each byte and
>>ignoring it, takes about 8 seconds.
>>So does converting the
>>array to a list, which is pretty much all C code.
>
> are you sure it takes 8s?

What I meant (but didn't state explicitly) was that even if you
convert the string to a list of 23068672 individual characters,
scanning the list takes about as long as scanning the array
did.

And not only did I not say all that, but what I did say I
even said wrong, since I notice I said "array to list"
instead of "string to list".

Basically, I've been totally wrong in everything I said
in this thread. ;-)

-except-this-post-ly y'rs,
  Peter