exceptions

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Jun 2 05:54:43 EDT 2004

Alexander Schmolck <a.schmolck at gmx.net> writes:

> Scott David Daniels <Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org> writes:
>
> > Calvin Spealman wrote:
> >> Have to admit tho, a continue feature might be useful. Some languages have
> >> this, don't they? The thing is, Where exactly to continue? Should you retry
> >> whatever raised the exception, continue just after it, at the beginning of
> >> that line, or what?
> >>
> > See this older thread:
> >    <http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3edd6118%241%40nntp0.pdx.net>
> >
> > Xerox's experience (in deliberately removing the "continue from
> > exception" language feature) I found very instructive.
>
> Did this language support working interactively? If so I'd be pretty surprised
> to hear that no one found it useful to be able to manually fix things and
> continue execution; not being able to do so is presumably my number one gripe
> with python [1] -- it annoys me no end if I need to start an expensive
> computation from scratch because some trivial and easily fixable problem
> occured towards the end of the computation (sometimes it is possible to
> salvage stuff by hand by pickling things from the appropriate post-mortem
> frame, but I'd *much* prefer being able to say: foo=some_value; resume).

I'd like this too.  It might be quite hard to implement
non-disruptively but I haven't thought about it too hard.  Would make
an excellent project for a master's thesis, IMHO.

?

>      (which has occasionally led me to get rid of them completely
>      while debugging -- surely not a good thinge). My other gripes
>      are again related to python's limitations for interactive
>      software development -- I rather like python, but I really wish
>      it did that better.

What do you mean here, specifically?

I find I can do interactive development in Python most of the time (I
do wish it was more possible with PyObjC, though).

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I think perhaps we should have electoral collages and construct
  our representatives entirely of little bits of cloth and papier