windows/python compatability

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Jun 21 20:52:28 EDT 2004

kluge wrote:

> i'm a newbie to python. i'm learning to program and wanted to know how
> to tell which version of windows my finished python program will work
> on. thank you.

That will depend somewhat on what features it uses... but for the
most part *any* currently available version of Windows will run
it just fine, as well as probably any version of Windows 98 since
the second edition was released, and possibly even the first one.

The only real requirement is that Python will have to be installed
on whatever machine tries to run it.  If that's a problem, you
can also investigate "py2exe" and use it plus a nice free installer
program (like InnoSetup) to build an installer that anyone could
use to install your program, without having to deal with a Python
download and such.

-Peter