Python memory use (psyco, C++)

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Jun 21 12:28:33 EDT 2004

I understand that psyco significantly increases memory use.  Is that for
code or data?  More specifically, if I've got a memory intensive
application (it might use 100's of Mbytes of data), should I expect
memory use to go up significantly under psyco?

Also, for that memory intensive application, how should I expect Python
memory use to compare with C++?  I'm really only interested in data; the
memory needed to store the code is almost certainly insignificant in
either case.

The data is a large number of small objects, interconnected in various
data structures, not just one huge block of raw data.

I know all of the above is very vague, but I'm just trying to get a
rough idea if a Python implementation is feasable (or at least
plausable).  If a C++ version takes 300 Mbytes and a Python version
takes 1 Gig, that's probably not going to work.  Are there any rules of
thumb I could use to get a first-order estimate?