Why did no one invent Python before?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Jun 3 11:07:14 EDT 2004

Sion Arrowsmith <siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> A more pertinent question might be why, when languages like this
> appeared some time ago, are monstrosities like C# still being
> created?

Here's my take on the currently popular languages...

C took off in the late 70's and early 80's because it was so much better
than the alternatives, and because it was wrapped up with Unix (about
which the same thing can be said).  C really was (and still is) a very
good language for what it was intended for: low level procedural
programming.

C++ took off in the mid to late 80's because it answered a need for OO
functionality while maintaining backwards compatability with C.  It also
added a few useful features C was lacking.  Unfortunately, it also
suffered from a bad case of "second system syndrome".  It piled one
complicated feature on top of another, and grew to be an ugly monster.
But don't underestimate the power of the C compatability; for better or
worse, that is what made C++ become so popular.

Java took off in the 1990's for two reasons.  One is that it answered a
need for a OOPL which didn't suck quite so much as C++, while still
looking and feeling enough like it to make people comfortable.  The
other (and far more critical), reason is that Java jumped on the web
bandwagon with both feet.  Between applets and things like JSP (I
actually think JSP is a pretty neat system), Java was the language to
know if you wanted to be involved in web development in the 1990's, and
everybody in the 1990's wanted to be involved in web development.  You
could have duct-taped a dead whale to the side of the web bandwagon and
it would have gotten pulled along.  The fact that Java was being hyped
by Sun, the darling of the 90's, didn't hurt either.

I must confess to not knowing much about C#, but my (somewhat ignorant)
take on it is that it's taking off because it's yet another language
that doesn't suck quite so much as C++, while still looking and feeling
enough like it to make people comfortable, and it's duct-taped to the
side of the Microsoft bandwagon.

All python did was provide a good programming environment.