how to use __str__ and __repr__?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Jun 7 19:50:46 EDT 2004

Jim Newton wrote:

> thanks for responding,
> i was expecting class().__str__()
> to evaluate to the string "<__main__.another instance at 0x8132b64>"
> because that what print does with class().
> but alas it does not.
>
> why does print class() not give me the same error as
> class().__str__()?
> that's what i do not understand.

In the example you gave, your class is derived from list, so it uses
list.__str__.  It's doing exactly what an object-oriented system should
do; defer to the base class.  Why do you think that's wrong?

--
 __ Erik Max Francis && max at alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/  \ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM erikmaxfrancis