Needed, symbolic math in Python

Olaf Delgado delgado at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Sat Jun 12 14:39:20 EDT 2004

In article <7xhdtgzrtn.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin wrote:

> It occurs to me that I'd also like to do polynomial arithmetic over
> finite fields, i.e. in GF(2**n)[x] for small n.  I realize that's a new
> request but I wonder if you know of anything.  Thanks.

Some years ago I wrote code to do some simple arithmetic in polynomials and
finite fields for a class on Python which I taught. As far as I remember,
you could combine these as well. It's not very sophisticated and probably
not state of the art regarding current Python features, but I think it
should still work. If you're interested, I could dig out the code for you.

I'd be curious as well as to whether there is some more advanced and
actively maintained package around for these things.

Cheers,
Olaf