Searching for the best scripting language,

Steve Lamb grey at despair.dmiyu.org
Mon Jun 14 18:58:08 EDT 2004

On 2004-06-14, Carl Banks <imbosol at aerojockey.invalid> wrote:
> Of course you can.

>     import glob
>     import os
>     import re

>     f = {}
>     for pattern in ("*.rar.*","*.r[0-9][0-9].*"):
>         for listing in glob.glob(prefix+pattern):
>             f[listing] = None
>     for filename in f:
>         os.system("cat %s.* > %s" % (sesc(filename),sesc(filename)))

    Ah, grab anything with a rar extension and more (badly split usenet
binaries?) and splice them together.

> I don't know what sesc is.  I assume he had defined it elsewhere,

    Stab in the darb based on the cat call as well as the purpose of this
snippet I would surmise "space escape".  IE, escape possible spaces in the
file name so as not to flub the command line that hits the system call.