debugging extension module

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 24 11:10:32 EDT 2004

hi there,

I'v trouble debugging an extension module with gdb
and I'm wondering whether anybody has suggestions
about how to do this.

The symptoms of the bug I'm looking for are that
depending on some seemingly benign (C/C++) code, the process
will seg fault somewhere in the garbage collector's
cleanup at the end of the application. Unfortunately
gdb doesn't let me step through these functions, so
I couldn't have a closer look into what happens.
I got the stack trace from a call to glibc's 'backtrace'
function from within the seg fault signal handler.

What can cause this kind of failure ? How can I
debug this ? I tried to prepare a special python
installation configured with the '--with-pydebug' option,
but may be that's not enough... (I'm running python 2.3.4
in case that matters).

Thanks for any help !

Stefan