Attention, hyperlinkers: inference of active text

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Fri Jun 18 14:04:39 EDT 2004

I'm looking for ideas, although their expression in executable
certainly doesn't offend me.

I do text manipulation.  As it happens, I'm in a position to
"activate" the obvious URI in
  Now is the time for all good men to read http://www.ams.org/
That's nice.  End-users "get it", and are happy I render
"http://www.ams.org" as a hyperlink.  Most of them eventually
notice the implications for punctuation, that is, that they're
happier when they write
  Look at http://bamboo.org !
than
  Look at http://bamboo.org!

The design breaks down more annoyingly by the time we get to
the "file" scheme, though.  How do the rest of you handle this?
Do you begin to make end-users quote, as in
  The secret is in "file:\My Download Folder\dont_look.txt".
?  Is there some other obvious approach?  I am confident that
requiring
  It is on my drive as file:\Program%20Files\Perl\odysseus.exe
is NOT practical with my clients.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net