a question on __slots__ (and example from Nutshell)

Ixokai usenet at ixokai.net
Wed Jun 2 18:41:09 EDT 2004

The problem is that the __slots__ mechanism is a function of "new style
classes", which really should be renamed =) A new-style-class is any class
that inherits from "object" or one of its descendants.

You're inheriting from Rectangle. What is its definition? I bet its
something like:

    class Rectangle:
        def __init__(self): pass

Since OptimizedRectangle inherits from an old-style class, its an old-style
class... and  __slots__ has no function.

So, just...

    class Rectangle(object): pass

And OptimizedRectangle should work like you expect.

--Stephen

news:56cfb0e3.0406021358.3d50d921 at posting.google.com...