does python have useless destructors?

David Turner dkturner at telkomsa.net
Tue Jun 15 04:09:05 EDT 2004

Hi

> You're far more likely to succeed in changing exception handling
> semantics than general object handling semantics.  If you're serious
> about fixing this hole in Python, write a PEP.

I agree that it would be far easier just to change the exception
handling semantics.

In certain implementations, it would be very much harder to take the
next step towards reference counting objects with __del__.

So what I'll do is write a PEP to fix the exception handling semantics
in CPython, and hope that pressure from users who discover how much
easier it is to write RAII -style code will eventually introduce
reference counting to Jython and friends.

Oops, I revealed my Evil Master Plan...

Regards
David Turner