mutable default parameter problem [Prothon]

Mark Hahn mark at prothon.org
Fri Jun 18 15:34:32 EDT 2004

Hung Jung Lu wrote:

> In code refactoring, the equivalent is to replace conditional
> statements by polymorphism. In terms of codeblocks, what I mean is
> dynamic hook-on and hook-off of codeblocks. If the underlying language
> is powerful enough, one should be able to achieve runtime
> restructuring of code, without performance impact for subsequent
> calls.

What about this Prothon code:

    def f():
            if 'static' not in f.attrs_:
                    f.static = 0
            f.static += 1

            tmp = f.static
            def outer.f():
                    f.static += 1
                    return f.static
            f.static = tmp

            return f.static

    print f()  # 1
    print f()  # 2
    print f()  # 3

I'm sure Python can do this better so please don't barrage me with replies
saying so.  I'm not going to brag this time :-)