Python 'Lets Me See The Forest'

Kamilche klachemin at home.com
Fri Jun 4 12:49:36 EDT 2004

Man, I've been banging my head against a C program for a while now.
I'm embarrassed to admit how long. I really want to use Python, as I
mentioned in a prior post, but the speed hit is such that I'll
probably use it only for prototyping.

But boy, development sure is fast in Python! Today, while playing with
it, I thought of a better way to arrange my data, that makes the
program more flexible. It's a good enough idea to warrant redoing my
code (even my C code) to take advantage of it. When I went to write up
the pseudocode to process the new method, I found myself naturally
using Python.

C is just so... detail oriented. By the time I set up the data
structures, do the string manipulation and memory management, I can
hardly remember what it was I was initially trying to accomplish, much
less think of a better way to do it! Maybe I'm just getting old... but
Python just fits my idea of 'mental pseudocode' so well, it's hard to
resist using it. Dictionaries ARE an underutilized concept in DP, and
I was using them up the yin yang, even in my C program. Python meshes
well with my programming style.

--Kamilche