pysnmp/shell

Ilya Etingof ilya at glas.net
Fri Jun 25 03:25:00 EDT 2004

Les Smithson <lsmithso at nohare.spam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I find the pysnmp API non-intuitive, but maybe that's just me. I've
> been thinking about writing a wrapper for it that makes it look more
> like the SNMP++ object model, which I'm much more comfortable with.

Well, current pysnmp API deals with rather low-level SNMP protocol
details. That's probably the basic cause of API complexity. From
the other hand, adding another layer of abstraction over current
(rather protocol bound) API might make the whole thing even less
efficient (mainly in CPU terms)...

Anyway, I'm currently working on complete SNMP engine implementation
(on top of current protocol API) that would include RFC-compliant API
to SNMP engine, support for SNMP agent instrumentation and manager
access to MIB information. I hope this would significantly reduce
API complexity.

-ilya

ps. BTW, there are some rather strightforward examples at:
    http://pysnmp.sourceforge.net/examples/3.4.x/index.html