wxPython on GTK

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 01:21:20 EDT 2004

David Fraser wrote:

> Fernando Perez wrote:
>> ImportError: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2-2.4.so.0: undefined symbol:
>> _gtk_accel_group_detach
>>
>> Essentially in Fedora2, Wx is unusable.
>
> I have four versions of wxPython running successfully on Fedora 2 - wx
> 2.4.2.4 with GTK, wx 2.5.1.5 with GTK, wx 2.5.1.5 with GTK2 and wx 2.5.2
> prerelease with GTK2
>
> The only problem is that certain binary RPMs produced aren't compatible
> with Fedora Core 2, because they're built on a RedHat 9 machine
>
> You can rebuild them from source rpms and they work fine. In fact
> (checks) ... surprise, surprise, you can get Fedora RPMs from Fedora extras.
>
> Now if you have a problem with that you can complain :-)

I should have qualified that with 'out of the box Fedora 2', since the WX
included in the official install doesn't even import at all.  This kind of
pissed me off (at Fedora, for shoddy testing), that they'd ship a fairly used
library which can't even be _started_ (meaning, 'import wx' failing).

It annoyed me b/c for deployment on multiple systems, being forced to track
separate builds from multiple repositories is just a recipe for headaches.

But this is not a thread on all the _other_ things that don't work at all with
FC2, so let's just not get started :)

I didn't mean to disparage the WX team.  I'll just patiently wait for things to
catch up.

Cheers,