python and microsoft visio

Gerrit Muller gerrit.muller at embeddedsystems.nl
Fri Jun 11 03:10:29 EDT 2004

Jaco Smuts wrote:

> Hello there
>
> short question: Any body got experience in extracting information from
> visio drawings using python.
> I presume I am looking at something like
> win32com.client.Dispatch('Visio.Application [or Drawing]), but I am a
> bit lost.
>

> long version:
> I am about  to embark on an excersize to document existing deployment of
> middleware in our organisation.
> (will also be used for design of future projects)
> The standard used for architecture and design docs here is MS Visio.
> I am hoping to write a python script to  extract information from these
> drawings. Then use  this information to test the actual deployment vs.
> the documents.
> Any ideas will be appreciated.
>
> thanks
> Jaco

Jaco,

I am using Python to automate the generation of derived formats: eps and
gif. My experiences with this combination are that Visio automation is
somewhat shaky. I am using Visio 5. On the net I hear that newer Visio
versions have changed the export functions I am using, but they did
apparantly not improve :-(. The symptoms are Visio crashes because of
some memory problem. Despite this intermittent problem I generate the
complete Gaudi site, with over 700 different Visio Diagrams, with these
tools. You are welcome to have a look at my scripts, but they are really
very poorly documented, abosuletly non-fool proof, scripts.

kind regards, Gerrit

--
Gaudi systems architecting:
<http://www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/>