Bad install of 2.3.4 on Solaris 8

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun Jun 13 13:47:47 EDT 2004

"Bob Swerdlow" <rswerdlow at transpose.com> writes on Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:38:14 -0400:
> I went ahead anyway.  make report this warning
>         gcc -shared
> build/temp.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.3/_ssl.o -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/li
> b -lssl -lcrypto -o build/lib.solaris-2.8-sun4u-2.3/_ssl.so
>         *** WARNING: renaming "_ssl" since importing it failed: ld.so.1:
> ../python: fatal: libssl.so.0.9.7: open failed: No such file or directory

The error message is not bad: the problem is "not finding "libssl.so.0.9.7".

Have you installed it? Have you configured "ld.conf" to find it
where you installed it or set up "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" correspondingly.

If this turns out to be the problem, then the way "_ssl.so" is build
could be improved. Under Solaris, it is possible to tell a shared
object at link time where to look for another shared object at runtime.
In this case, I (at your place) would file a bug Python report.

Dieter